- Bitkom publishes study report "Digital Finance 2019"
How many German citizens use online banking? Are customers staying loyal to their bank and what is the future of the branch? Who would accept offers from a digital company? And what do Germans think of online offers from the insurance industry? Answers to these questions can be found in the study report "Digital Finance 2019 - The Transformation of the Financial Industry in Figures", published today by the digital association Bitkom. "In just a few years, online banking has developed from an exception to a rule. And now not only established financial institutions are providing online services, but new, purely digital competitors are entering the market," says Julian Grigo, Head of Digital Banking & Financial Services at Bitkom. And Fabian Nadler, Digital Insurance & InsurTech consultant emphasizes: "We are currently experiencing a similar development with an even faster pace of digitization in the insurance industry. This study report provides a wealth of data and facts and time series that describe these trends".
Some results of the study report "Digital Finance 2019 - The Transformation of the Financial Industry in Figures" are:
- 7 out of 10 Germans (70 percent) currently use online banking, in 2014 the share was only 53 percent
- Only older people still hesitate when it comes to online banking. Only one in five people aged 65 and over (21 percent) uses this service, while almost all 30- to 49-year-olds (93 percent) do so.
- The trend is towards mobile banking: for the first time, more than half of online banking users (52 percent) also use the smartphone for their banking transactions, compared with only 34 percent in 2015.
- One in three online banking users (31 percent) no longer visits any branches at all.
- Almost every second German citizen (46 percent) could soon be a customer of a pure online bank.
- 3 out of 10 (29 percent) say they can imagine opening an account with a digital company.
- 51 percent have already taken out an insurance policy online, a further 16 percent can imagine this for the future.
- Half of online banking users (49 percent) would take care of insurance matters via the banking platform.
Details on these study results as well as a whole series of further figures on the digitisation of the financial sector can be found in the complete study report "Digital Finance 2019 - The Transformation of the Financial Industry in Figures", which can be downloaded free of charge here.
Methodological note: The data for 2019 are based on a survey conducted by Bitkom Research on behalf of the Digital Association Bitkom. 1,005 German citizens aged 16 and over were interviewed by telephone. The survey is representative of the total population.